Your skin will thank you.
When Haven Spa invited us in, I (Jeannine’s intern), could not be more excited to check it out. While there, I got to try the spa’s seasonal frosted sugar cookie manicure and pedicure treatment, which was just what I needed to distress and get into the holiday spirit. After an afternoon of pampering myself I decided I had to share the DIY honey scrub recipe that I fell in love with.
I knew I loved the spa as soon as I walked in. After picking my polish, I was handed a hot apple cider with amaretto. 'Tis the season!
During the treatment my hands and feet first soaked in a relaxing vanilla bath soak and then enjoyed a scrumptious exfoliating honey scrub. “This natural blend of brown sugar and honey has excellent humectant properties that soften and smooth the skin,” explains Haven Spa Esthetician, Stallina Glot.
With the help of a callus remover and a hydrating body melt, the scrub met my expectations and left my skin exactly as promised. According to Glot, “Honey scrubs exfoliate dead skin cells and have antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, and wound-healing properties.” She recommends using the scrub 1-2 times per week.
The best thing you can do to keep your skin healthy and fresh till spring is to exfoliate and moisturize, and honey does both. "A honey scrub is good to use during the colder months, because its natural ingredients act to soften and nourish the skin and can even help to maintain a youthful look," explains Glot.
Here are her top three DIY recipes so you can enjoy the benefits in the comfort of your own home.
- Olive Oil
- Place the honey and olive oil in a small bowl and mix together well.
- Apply a small amount of scrub to dry skin and massage gently in a circular motion. Leave on overnight.
- Olive Oil
- Brown sugar
- Place the honey, olive oil and brown sugar in a small bowl.
- Mix together into a thick, dry paste.
- Apply the paste to skin and massage gently in a circular motion.
- Mash the banana together.
- Place the honey, milk and mashed banana in a small bowl and mix together well.
- Apply the mixture on skin and leave on for 10-15 minutes. Rinse well.